Steaks of your choice
Splash vegetable oil
100 grams butter
3 sprigs fresh thyme
Coarse sea salt & ground black pepper
- Purchase your Grass Fed Striploin or Grass Fed, Grain Fed or Wagyu Rib Eye
- Cut your steaks at least one inch thick (Freeze whatever you don’t use by tightly wrapping in clingfilm or in ziplock bags)
- Rest on a plate at room temperature for 1 – 2 hours before cooking
- Season well with course sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. These are big steaks, don’t be shy with the salt!
- Add vegetable oil to a thick bottomed frying pan and heat until smoking. Make sure you have good ventilation or your kitchen will fill up with smoke!
- Gently add the steaks and fry on a high heat for 3 minutes until a brown crust forms
- Flip the steaks and turn down the heat
- Add 2 good sized knobs of butter, 3 sprigs of fresh thyme and 3 cloves of garlic
- Baste the steaks with the butter using a spoon, continuing to baste for around 3 minutes. Be careful not to burn the butter!
- Always check the internal temperature, using a meat thermometer if you have one to ensure they are cooked to your liking. If you don’t have a thermometer, place a skewer into the thickest part of the beef and hold for 3 seconds. Place the skewer on your bottom lip. It should register warm when cooked to medium-rare or 50 degrees Celsius.
- Rest the steaks on a rack for at least 5 minutes. Resting allows the meat to relax and absorb all of the juices before slicing.
- Baste with the remaining butter juices one last time
- Serve with a simple green side salad and chips, and sprinkle a little sea salt over the steak just before serving.
|Rare||Med Rare||Medium||Med Well||Well Done|
|Pull Temp||50-55oC||55-60oC||60-65oC||65-70 oC||70 oC|
|Final Temp||60 oC||60-65 oC||65-70 oC||70 oC||75oC+|